French bulldogs UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hereditary cataracts

2 posters

Go down

Hereditary cataracts Empty Hereditary cataracts

Post  frenchabull Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:37 pm

which breeders are DNA testing for hereditary cataracts
frenchabull
frenchabull

Back to top Go down

Hereditary cataracts Empty Re: Hereditary cataracts

Post  frenchabull Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:25 pm

Hello is anybody there ??????????????????
frenchabull
frenchabull

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:56 pm

many of the older kennels did test , but felt that there was not affected dogs in their lines for several generations it wasn't worth it and with one reported cases we seemed to stopping the spread of the disease.

however, the new dna tested might encourage a few to test,breeding stock .

I have all my breeding stock in poodles DNA tested ( or born clear) which is a expenisve test - Blood Tests sent to usa) but are aimming to test some dogs in the next year.

I will say of course kennels which advertise their dogs as tested under KC/BVA schemes are incoreevt as the french bulldog in not on these schemes for any eye condition. its just a routine eye test done by a bva scheme member no results are sent to BVa or KC to be recorded.

Fiona
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.frenchbullodgs.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  frenchabull Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:31 pm

I have had all mine done all have been clear to date, the kennel club list the eye test on their schedule b, so this would be included in any bva/kc listing if they have been eye tested but this obviously doesn't tell you if they are carrying the condition. It is only a cheek swab costs about £65 each and you can do it yourself don't need the vet to do it Very Happy , it's a one off doesn't have to be done each year like eye testing should be, in view of all the bad press recently about pedigree dogs Rolling Eyes any responsible breeder should be testing if the test is available
frenchabull
frenchabull

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum